Thursday, July 28, 2016

It's made a HUGE difference in our nursing relation and his temperament...


I nursed Nolan for 3.5 yrs, yes YEARS so I assumed nursing Oliver would be a piece of cake, I was wrong. I kept saying something was different, it didn't feel the same, but I couldn't place it. Oliver had colic symptoms, would pop on and off the breast screaming at times, but eventually did nurse fine each time. He was a TERRIBLE sleeper and nursed constantly night and day. I never realized all of these things pointed to 1 thing. Finally, around 12 months of this I Googled it all and read an article I had read 8 months earlier, but bypassed it as I didn't think it was our issue. I assumed if there was a medical cause to all this surely our Dr or the 2 hospital lactation consultants would've seen that looking in his mouth. The next day I looked in Oliver's mouth and as clear as anything there was his lip tie. I took him to his Dr who looked and agreed he had a lip tie, but tongue looked fine and sent us to an ENT. The ENT saw a lip tie and also said tongue looked fine and told me about the procedure-Oliver would need general anesthesia and done in the OR. A week later I found the FB group for tongue and lip ties. I then learned that lip ties are accompanied by posterior tongue ties 98% of the time, but are easily missed. I also learned not all Dr's are highly trained in ties. Luckily while reading information I learned that one of the leading pediatric dentists in the world for ties is in Albany. Oliver got his lip and posterior tongue tie revised in January at 15mo by a laser, completely awake and was back in my arms nursing within 5 mins. It's made a HUGE difference in our nursing relationship and his temperament, he's a much happier boy without tethered oral tissue. I shared our story because I know a lot of people struggle needlessly with breastfeeding and if we can help just 1 Mama and baby by sharing our story then that makes us happy. If you think a tie is the issue, contact Dr Kotlow in Albany, you'll be wasting your time otherwise.
~ Nicole Miller




No comments:

Post a Comment