Tuesday, August 30, 2016

An adult's response to why ties should be revised in babies...


I am 40 and had my posterior tongue tie revised recently. It went well and I had immediate improvements. My mom couldn't find support when I was little to revise the lip and tongue ties right away. She developed mastitis soon after I was born and had to have a surgery. I was put on formula when a month old resulting in severe allergic reactions. 
Then I had severe ear infections until I was almost 10 y. o. (they didn't do tubes back then). I now get comments on scarring inside my ears all the time. I still remember how unbearable the ear ache was and sleepless nights from pain. Just having a chance at avoiding ear pain would make me run for a revision for my child. Unfortunately my late revision is not going to change my significantly underdeveloped lower jaw which was pulled backwards by the tie resulting in what is called a "weak" or receded chin. It is also not going to return thousands of $ spent and has yet to be spent on orthodontia, mostly due to the tie which led to lack of breastfeeding and subsequently misaligned jaws (See Dr. Palmer research among other things). Multiple orthodontist told me I had to break my jaw to extend it, there was no other way to fix significant underbite and overjet. It is a complicated surgery with a lot of things that can and do go wrong. I had to decline the surgery, so they extracted 4 teeth to pull the teeth back with braces which made my mouth even smaller leading in part to exacerbation of digestive issues, food allergies, teeth grinding and clenching, suspected sleep apnea and resulted tiredness. Now instead of spending my time with my kid and family, I am tired dealing with fatigue, sleep disturbances, TMJ... (obviously there were other factors besides the tie, but there are plenty of stressors on the body and one more eventually would break a camel's back).  Why would you want a properly developed jaw? You don't see many athletes with receded or "weak" lower chin and jaw lines. You need to be able to breath unobstructed to obtain best results in sports and there is also a social stigma especially against men with receded jaw line. The tongue is the first and main orthodontic appliance. It is a muscle capable of applying "500 grams of pressure on teeth, yet only takes 1.7 grams of pressure to move a front tooth." You want the tongue to apply the pressure properly. No matter how much ortho you can do later in life, if you don't fix the tie, the tongue is going to continue push them the way it is tied, not the way your orthodontist want your teeth to go. To be afraid of the procedure, especially on a small baby is very understandable. It is good you both taking the time to weigh all the pros and cons. I hope you will be able to reach an agreement. You both are trying to put the baby in the optimum conditions for his development and ensure a healthy and happy baby.

~Anya Rumi 

No comments:

Post a Comment