Friday, February 10, 2017

Tips for a toddler going through revision

Basically, we watched a couple of Daniel Tiger Episodes where he goes to the doctor the day before. I told her that the doctor was going to look at her lip and tongue, and try to help her be able to eat  better and speak more clearly. When we got there, I said, "This is where the doctor will look at your tongue." Then, when we got into the room I told her that she would sit in the chair, and the doctor would look at her tongue. Then there would be an owie, but the owie, would be fast and I would be right there. I told her she would have a popsicle when it was done. She noticed the laser in the corner, and I took her to look at it and said the doctor would use it on her tongue. I sat at her feet and patted her legs while I held them still. When she started to say "Owie" and cry I said, "Yes, it's Owie, but I'm right here and it will be done soon and you will have a popsicle."  I started to sing her the ABC's, but then decided she might hate them forever, so I just started singing, "It will be all done in just a minute. You're so brave and it's almost done." It only took 2 or 3 minutes, that of course seem a lot longer when she's screaming, but when it was done. She just sat up, and hugged me really tight. I asked if she wanted a popsicle and she wiped her tears and said yes. After she got it, she hopped off the chair and followed the nurse to the treasure chest to pick out a toy. She fell asleep in the car after a second popsicle and slept two hours. She woke up crying and pointing at her mouth, so I gave her another popsicle and she calmed down. I dosed with ibuprofen as soon as we were leaving the office and every 6 hours since. She is a little sore and tells me when it hurts, but over all doing really well. She hates the stretches, of course, but is figuring out that if we just do them quickly it goes faster, and she is done. She has already said like 10 new words today, clearly, and can eat better. She also has much improved movement of her tongue.
~ Kara Hernandez-Darling

No comments:

Post a Comment